Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, June 27, 2016

June 27, 2016

Avalanche column
June 23, 2016

I had not been gardening in Alpine very long when it dawned on me that our growing season is not like the rest of the country.

I have lived on both coasts and several states in between. WE garden in a unique location.

Growing veggies like I would elsewhere, I got marginal success. Traditional spring veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, peas…) would start out OK with March plantings but spring around here can get vicious with heat, wind and low humidity pretty quick. Everything these crops dislike. Most years these spring crops would become aphid magnets, and it would become a battle to get a decent crop to mature.

I felt I needed to define the growing seasons to help determine at which times to plant different crops.

Clues were derived from where different crops originated in the world; I then tried to match these crops to the time of year that the climate in West Texas could most reasonably duplicate. I evaluated all of the different crops and then matched them to these seasons. This has dramatically enhanced my success!!

I broke the gardening year into three seasons.

I like to start the gardening year with the best time to garden in West Texas.  This is the Monsoon / fall season. This is (or can be) our most amiable season. All crops that can be grown in West Texas can at least be started in this season. A number of crops started at this time finish in the spring. This season starts the first of July and goes until the first killing freeze.

The next season is the winter/ spring season. This is a short season. It is from the first killing freeze until the heat and wind begin. This is roughly from the middle of November until the end of March.  This season is when I finish most of the crops started in the Monsoon / fall season. These would include the brassica’s (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower…) and spinach. Two other crops would finish in May/June (onions and garlic).  It is in this season that I plant my summer crops which include seedlings I started in December (tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants).

The next season I call the angry season. I think it is the least hospitable season in West Texas. We suffer through it to bask in the rest of the year. This time of year can see triple digit temperatures, single digit humidity and for “funzies” fifty to sixty MPH winds and hail storms. This does not happen every year but there is the ever present potential!!! Save for Okra and sweet potatoes I plant NOTHING else at this time.  It can be EXTREMLY difficult to keep seeds and seedlings moist enough so that they can get established.

Next: matching veggies to the seasons.

No comments: