Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, March 17, 2016

March 17, 2016


Good morning, Yes last week when I saw the rain chances being predicted in the 50 percentile and greater I was thinking “yea right”. Then looking at the satellite imagery last week, some one was getting dumped on. It just wasn't us here in Alpine. We did get a tenth of an inch out of it. Which is better than nothing. It sure did make absolutely wonderful chicken spa dirt. That lemons to lemonade thingy.

It does look like the warming trend will continue with a brief cool down over this coming weekend (maybe rain chances too!). Ever so curious to see if any of my germinated okra decides to lift up their little heads. Time will tell. It will also be interesting to see if it is just too cool for it to grow. There are limits as to how cool or warm a germinated seed will grow. I think if I see it start to emerge and grow with vigor, I will plant the other two beds. One other heat loving crop is cucumbers. Saved a lot of seeds last year so I have room to experiment. I am so curious to see how early fabric will help me get a jump start on the season. It would be real cool to have a July garden in April? May? Most likely June. Greens are good but I am dieing for a juicy ripe tomato with a side of a fresh NuMex Big Jim green chili's. Patience! All seems to be going well just need some time.

Last fall my brain must have taken a walk and I left my Monzano chili to get frosted. Tried to resurrect it all to no avail. I have started some more plants and hope to have some to harvest this fall. These have got to be one of the best chili's I have ever eaten. The fruits even look like little apples and have a definite fruitiness to their flavor. Need to try and keep my mind on a short leash. Yea right! They would make nice house plants but they do have the potential to get real tall (10+ feet). I do suspect with root and top pruning they can be kept shorter. I have had zero luck with them in the ground. They absolutely dislike afternoon sun and prefer morning and evening sun. The location that I have found that they thrive is under our mulberry tree. This is also where a flock of house sparrows dwell. It seems the sparrows particularly like the blossoms which also prevents fruit. I have discussed this with the cat and all she gives me is a dead bug look. My past netting attempts have not worked very well. Just need to keep trying, these chili's are worth the effort. They are unique in many ways. They tolerate near freezing temps (they grow in the Andes), flowers are purple with yellow flower parts, the leaves are fuzzy, the seeds are black and it will not cross with any other chili. They have been known to become tree sized in their 10 year lifespan. Where they grow to this size they can have over a thousand pounds of chili's. I really doubt that it will do this for me but I would be happy with 20 pounds of fruit in a year.

Recently there was a roadrunner in the garden when sparrow killer? (the cat )took great interest in the bird. I have seen this bird waiting in ambush at the chicken feeders to snag a sparrow or two (keeps coming back so must have some success). Anyway I was amazed at how tame this bird was. I got up to arms length away from it when it got up into MY pet garden cholla. All it did was it's alarm rattle at me but was not in any hurry to get away. I never have been that close to a living Piasano before. This was pretty cool. I worry for my garden horny toads with this bird around. Last year I had at least 4 or 5 within the garden. The garden / orchard enclosure is about a half acre with harvester ant nests roughly every 60 feet. I have gotten nailed by them but for the most part we coexist, the ants and I. Such is life in the garden.

Looking under the covers the first toms are starting to have blooms. And yes I am seeing the okra beginning to emerge. Butternuts are emerging too. Some flowers are starting to develop on the squash. In years past if the temps are on the cool side < 60 there are more male flowers than females. Temps must be good because I am seeing both. The peas are not quite ready yet. There are lots of peas but all are on the small side. The sweetest and tastiest are full sized and filled with peas. I suspect that when they do start it will be a short season. I am already seeing turnips, kale and beets beginning to bolt. Very strange spring. I remain hopeful that the next crops to be harvested will start as the overwintered crops begin to fade. Oh that succession thingy.

This week I will harvest chard, kale, spinach, beets, turnips and some lettuce. There still are sun chokes and butternuts.


No comments: