Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, February 15, 2016

February 15, 2016

avalanche column


January 28, 2916

 

You might say I cut my teeth on cut worms. This is the number one bug that started my steep learning curve of West Texas Bugs. There just were not many bugs in central Oregon and this really showed me (unknowingly) what kind of a very rude awakening I was in for.

It was my broccoli crop that I so diligently planted a whole row of very nice plants that I had started. Like in Oregon, I planted them and then mulched around them. I dusted off my hands and thought of my soon to be bountiful harvests. In short order my beautiful broccoli plants were apparently growing in reverse. I was for a loss so I pulled back the mulch and there laid my problem. There were easily a half dozen cutworms around each of my plants and the plants were getting eaten into oblivion.

This was well before I had discovered agribon or figured that broccoli along with the rest of the brassica family do better as a fall planted and over wintered crop.

What I did then was to pull back the mulch and sprayed Bt. I then had to do some follow up spraying along with hand picking. The crop was never very bountiful. Since I had planted in the spring, the season got way too warm for broccoli and was soon covered with aphids. This is what did the broccoli in.

The first thing I did was to devise a planting schedule so that my garden plants are growing in the season that best fits their needs. I feel our springs are too short for traditional spring crops to be planted and expect them to mature. Fall planting works better for me.

Soon I did discover agribon and I would completely cover the bed as an exclusion barrier. This is ALWAYS done immediately after planting and mulching the bed.

The fabric does make a very nice habitat for aphids. Aphids are very fond of brassicas. What I do is spray with cold pressed neem oil. Timing is critical, if you can control the aphids just before the weather turns cold (this has been very variable of late), the aphids can be controlled until the harvest is complete. This timing coincides with the little ants going dormant. They will farm aphids for the honeydew and actually will locate them on the plants. A nice clue to spray is if all the ant mounds are quiet.

Recently I discovered that the cut worm is the larvae of millers. The little moths that so annoyingly buzz the bedroom light when you are in bed reading. So having the exclusion on during the night keeps them away but allows for bed work in the day. This is a very good reason to identify and learn the pest’s life history. It can help make your gardening experience easier and more enjoyable.

 

 

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogspot.com

No comments: