Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Monday, August 10, 2015

August 10, 2015

more past columns from the Avalanche


May 7, 2015

Oh yes it does seem like that time of year of gale force winds and hail storms are around the corner.

Without the use of row covers this time of year can be quite difficult for gardeners. Let us hope that this year we do not get late season freezes like we have gotten in the last couple of years.

For the adventurous gardeners who have their gardens planted it is of the highest importance to keep an eye on weather forecasts. This can give you a clue as to what the weather may do that day.

It is important that with row covers / fabric that you keep it off of the plants. There are two reasons. Freezing temperatures will translocate right through the fabric and burn any plant that is touching the fabric and on windy day’s seedlings can be abraded to the ground while mature plants can be bruised. Granted with a daylong wind storm there will be some plant contact but nothing like if the fabric was left to “float” over the plants.

My experience with hail storms is that duration and intensity is the key. Forty five minutes of pea sized hail that turns the ground white can do more damage than 5 minutes of golf ball hail. These storms are all the “luck of the draw”

I use two thicknesses of fabric. The light one is almost like sheer cloth (ag 19) and the other is like denim (ag 70).  Of course the 70 gives the best protection but to cover all the beds would be way too expensive. I reserve this for my more valuable crops. I have found that the use of 2 layers of 19 is really good hail protection. Last year during a golf ball sized storm: uncovered beds were sent through a meat grinder, single layer of 19, the hail was slowed but went through but with the 2 layers most just bounced off.

There are only a few crops that I do not leave covered for the full season; these are in the cucurbit family (squash, melons, cucumbers…). These crops need to be pollinated. The rest of the veggies that have flowers are (for the most part) self-fertile and can be kept covered. This is an immense help going into hail season.

Sooo if you will be gone all day, especially mid to late afternoon, it would do no harm to your cucurbits to leave them covered all day. This would be much preferred than coming home to confetti.

If by chance you are unfortunate and get clobbered by a hail storm, it is absolutely imperative to clean up all of the shredded foliage. For the cucurbits, all of the shredded foliage is a calling card to cucumber beetles and the party will be on. Once when I worked away from home and was side slapped with hail mid-week, I was overrun with cucumber beetles by the weekend. Time is of the essence.

 

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogspot.com

 

May 14,2015

It has been a goal to try and not duplicate what I write for the Avalanche and what I send out in my weekly email for veggie sales, but this has a real soft spot in my heart.

We are talking about the Alpine Community Garden out behind the West Texas Food Bank. This has been a labor of love that is finally coming to full fruition. A lot of folks have provided a lot of love: ripping the soil, to remedy compaction, a deer fence has been erected, watering system installed, and a garden shed to store gardening tools. All these bennies are included in the plot rental fee.

Finally a Sul Ross Construction class has erected several shade structure frameworks (how fitting for a garden, they look mushrooms).

Well these “mushrooms” need some caps, some weed abatement would also be nice (this area was fallow for many years and sports a very vigorous crop of weeds), and lastly, pic nic tables under the soon to be newly “capped” mushrooms so that all can gaze at all the wonderful work that so many folks have accomplished. The Community garden is a very nice asset to the Alpine Community.

I have heart felt emmotions for gardens and feel everyone should try and grow some of their own food. Veggie gardening is a skill that everyone should try to acquire at least to some degree. Another one of the nice things about the community garden is it brings gardeners of different skill levels together and this can really help everyone’s gardening experience to grow. Sooo if you would like to donate to the above mentioned pic nic area, please read the note below from Isabel Whitehead.

I have the information for the online fundraiser we are conducting to help Alpine Community garden. 

The link to the donation page is www.gofundme.com/alpinegarden 

We are raising money to complete a shade structure for the gardeners, get our hands on natural weed suppressants like heavy gravel, add a picnic table, etc. All of the extra info is on the donation webpage.

 If you haven’t been out to see the Community garden, I highly recommend it. If you would like to try your green thumb at gardening, contact Martha Latta at mlatta@feedingamerica.org or at 432-837-1580     for garden plot details. It really is a great bargain: secure deer fence, garden tools including seeds, water and readily available garden advice, all to make your gardening experience a success!!!

Ah yess here is to growing!!!

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

May21, 2014

Like with any tool there is a learning curve, this is true with agriculture spun bound fabric too.

I first discovered fabric while reading a gardening book by Eliot Coleman, a year round gardener on the Maine Coast. He was my inspiration to try veggie gardening  year round and to also  give agribon fabric a whirl.

Initially I would only use it in the winter because “I thought it would keep my plants too hot in the summer”. I could not have been more wrong.

Not only does this tool keep plants warm in the winter, it also cools plants in the summer.

This past winter I learned a real  “now I understand” experience.

I had 3 layers of agribon 70 (theoretically good to 8 degrees) on my Irish potatoes.  The fabric retains heat but does not generate it. This past winter with all the snow and ice there was no heat reserves in the soil. This was true even though I had covers on these plants all winter, there was enough warmth to sprout the spuds but not enough warmth in the soil to carry the plants through ice and snow events. Unlike other true winter veggies that do not mind it on the cool side, the mid to lower 20’s (plants like chard, kale spinach, carrots and onions to name a few), potatoes like it cool but not freezing. This past winter really brought this point home to me.

Most years our winter chill downs are short lived and the fabric is able to do its magic and protect the plants. It is because of these short lived chill downs that I believe I was able to survive the 2011 deep freeze with minimum damage. If instead of having a weekend warmup before the second wave there had been 2 solid weeks of freeze, my garden may have been totaled. I hope I never get to test this hypothesis. Much rather keep all that deep freeze stuff up north!!

It was pure happen stance that I tried the fabric in the summer. Most gardeners like to refer to it as frost blanket, so this does form a mindset. It was one of my earliest revelations of gardening here in Far West Texas; this place is like no other place in the country to garden. Having gardened on both coasts and several places in between has revealed this to me.

I started using it to germinate seeds because when I used mulch to cover seed beds, I soon found that critters in the mulch just loved how I provided them with all those easy access ”vittles”.  With the fabric I could maintain a “clear zone” around the seed bed.

I now use it year round!!!

Yes! gardening requires a learning curve just like with the use of gardening tools!!!

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

May 28, 2015

This year may be one of those huge bug years, due to all the moisture we have had. When passing through the garden I scare up numerous grass hoppers, everything from tiny ones up to big ones. I am hoping my fowl will help me with these.

I am also seeing increasing numbers of squash bugs and cucumber beetles. The squash bugs are already laying eggs.

Since the rains have been consistent so have the weeds greening the garden perimeter, garden paths and the beds too.

It is not a time to be complacent. There are garden duties to take care of. 

I have been slow to weed whip the exterior perimeter of the garden because I have been enjoying the wildflowers so much. They are fading so I will be working on a 10 foot border around the garden. This really helps the fowl with their bug patrol. I am hoeing and weed eating the inside perimeter down to bare earth. This also discourages the bugs. That exposure thing.

As I harvest my squash, I look for squash bugs and cucumber beetles. I just crush them as I go (more squeamish sorts may want to wear gloves while doing this). I am finding squash bug eggs on just about every location of the plant. These are pictures of what to look for along with a picture of adults and nymphs.  https://palmraepotager.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/julysquashbugeggs003.jpghttp://ipm.illinois.edu/ifvn/volume11/images/squash_bugs.jpg 

Adults and nymphs are easy to crush first thing in the morning when they are sluggish. The eggs are difficult to crush so they need to be either squished between a rock and a hard place or collected in a plastic bag to be left in the sun. Loose eggs on the ground WILL hatch.

Cucumber beetles are a bit more trouble when it comes to hand control. A light on the porch at night will bring them in where they can be collected to be disposed of.

I will continue with hand control for all of these above mentioned bugs until their populations get too big. Then it becomes time to bring out the cold pressed neem oil.  I have mentioned this amazing pesticide on many occasions. Save for the oil properties Cold pressed neem, it is not a contact spray, it needs to be ingested. Once ingested the bugs stop eating and molting with death to follow. Cold Pressed neem is not available locally (that I know of) only clarified hydrophobic neem (all of the hormones that affect eating and molting have been removed). Cold Pressed needs to be sprayed of an evening wearing proper protective clothing after reading the label fully. Spraying of a morning will kill beneficial insects and the sun may cause the neem oil to burn the plants.

Cold pressed neem is affective on over 100 insect pests. If the label DOES NOT say cold pressed neem specifically, it is the clarified form. I get my cold pressed from Amazon.  Good luck!!

Questions? I can be contacted at markdirtfarmer@gmail.com. Or more garden notes at redwagonfarm.blogsot.com 

No comments: