Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, July 9, 2015

July 9, 2015

A little note before the post. I have been writing weekly columns for a local paper and though I would start posting them next Monday (if I don't forget). It more info on gardening so I feel it is appropriate.  mark

 
Good morning, This year has been a real buggy one. Starting with the caterpillars that ravaged my winter seed beds all the way up to the present with cucumber beetles. Most of the bugs have been relatively easy to control save for the cucumber beetles. They are beginning to get me a bit worried.

In years past I have used cold pressed neem oil and thought it worked rather well. Maybe it was a smaller infestation and the oil properties of the neem oil suffocated them. This year it is like they give me an obscene gesture after spraying them with the cold pressed and continue eating away. I used spinosad once on the cukes and the butternut squash but I have a huge reluctance. This is because the spray directions are to wait 1 day to harvest for cucumbers and 3 for the other cucurbits. Just having to hold gives me pause, because how safe can it be. Another reason is, it appears insects can build immunity to the stuff fairly quickly and suggest not to use spinosad more than a few times a year. And the last big reason is after 3 days of no harvest in the summer squash the squash would be huge. Chickens say yum!!!

The spinosad slowed them down but in quick haste were back to pre-spray levels. I do not think a few spraying s would control these guys. Besides after one day of no harvest, I had small logs that I could either cut into lumber or build a raft. So I do not think spinosad will become a permanent part of my pest arsenal.

A web search mentions a number of cultural controls. These all sound good but they would be most affective before the cucumber beetles population are what they are in the garden. The cultural controls are a trap crop, spraying the leaves with surround (kaolin clay), Sticky yellow tape with cucumber beetle attractant, vacuuming or netting the beetles and the use of row covers.

Of these cultural controls I do the row covers. Exclusion is probably the best “pesticide” and is very effective on most crops. The cucurbit family adds a twist, they need to be pollinated by hand or bees. In which both cases the covers need to be removed in order to be pollinated. Needless to say the beetles say “coooool”. I had some cosmetic clay (made from kaolin) and spayed my cucumber vines. This is to supposedly make it less palatable to the bugs. I do not think it would hurt, will evaluate. Did spray didn't work

With a trap crop, the use of spinosad or any other wait to harvest sprays would not be a problem because this crop would be the “sacrificial lamb” so to speak and would not be harvested. At this time it would be like putting the cart before the horse.

Sticky yellow tape and trapping would help but I am looking for something to give me a little advantage now. There does not seem to be many organic approved sprays for cucumber beetles. Pyrethrin sprays are listed. This is made from a flower and is a very powerful insecticide. It appears to degrade very quickly and there is no holding be fore harvest. I hope to find some in town otherwise to the internet I go. Ah yess just when ya think the learning curve is mellowing along comes the next wake up call. Gotta love a challenge.

I leave the above notes as recorded to relate my thinking process. When I get quite confused and frustrated I revert back to my fail safe position, operator error. What am I doing wrong? This is the easiest thing to change. Once I did this the solution jumped out at me. I checked into back emails written at the time I first started to use cold pressed neem oil, and yes it was a formidable population of cucumber beetles and the neem oil worked spectacularly. What was I doing wrong?

It was simple, taking the advice of the folks that sell me my cold pressed neem oil, I purchased some karanja oil that is supposed to enhance the cold pressed and is also an extender. It is supposed to make a gallon of neem oil go further.

Besides not getting the cucumber beetle knock down, I was also getting foliage burn (I thought this could be due to warm evening temps). Well I decided to skip using the kranja and go straight cold pressed. With one spraying I can see a definite thinning of the horde. I expect one or two more applications and I can calm down. Along with no leaf burn!!Oh yes, breath deep and count to ten works, every time!!!!

The garden is producing beyond my wildest dreams. We are taking a huge abundance to market, sell a whole lot and bring bunches home to process into canned and dried goods. Does make for some long days. I was a bit afraid to cut back on plantings last fall when I did my yearly garden planning, because I did not have a feel for what to cut back to. This fall will be different. The drip is making all the difference in the world.!!

No comments: