Welcome to the Red Wagon Farm Blog

Red Wagon Farm grows vegetable year-round using organic techniques. We also keep chickens and ducks for eggs.


We sell our produce and eggs at the Alpine Farmers Market at the Hotel Ritchey Courtyard on Historic Murphy Street. We all sell homemade pickles, relishes and mustards.

The farmers market is open every Saturday of the year, from 9 am until noon.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

January 15, 2015


Good morning, Mother Nature sure does seem to be having a hissy fit here of late. In years past when nasty weather would hit the weekend, at least there would have been an enjoyable week preceding it.

Since before Christmas, it seems like there has been one day a week that has been nice and rest of the week is spent in hunkered down mode.

Well it is about time it looks like this next weekend shall be a pleasant one. I for one am going to enjoy it by being at the market Saturday. I can only imagine that everyone else is biting at the bit to get out on a Saturday. Especially a Saturday where the entire landmass of West Texas is not a huge skating rink.

There was a little bit of freezing rain on Tuesday and Wednesday but will be dry the rest of the week. Maybe the ground will be a little drier and a lot less muddy. Now that statement is really a bit odd to say in West Texas where usually this time of year you might need a dust mask.

This really has the potential to be a real dynamite wild flower year not to mention forage for cattle and wildlife alike. Yes even though it has been a real wild ride from before Christmas to the present, there are things to be thankful for: the winter time precipitation (even though this caused some grief of its own), the upcoming (hopefully not jinxing myself) mild weather weekend, but especially all those line men that got the power back on under such wacked weather conditions.

YESSS grab a friend and come down to market on Saturday. It should be a real good one. I don't get out very much during the week and this has been especially true of late, I think I am needing some domestication /socialization before I really do turn into some feral critter!!!

See you there!!

Today is supposed to be clear and warmer than it has been in quite awhile. I am going to harvest today, but I really am clueless as to what is harvest able. I will list what I think may be ready. If what you order is unavailable I will let you know. It has been a strange winter. Since before Christmas, I think I have been able to spot check the garden maybe 5 or 6 times. It has either been too wet and muddy or frozen solid to the ground. But NOAA and Underground are both saying the rest of January may have above average temps with SUNSHINE!!!!! I for one am more than ready!!! So place your orders and I will see what I can do. It is soooo muddy and the progress will be slow, but for nothing else I want to see how things are out there. It will almost be like visiting some long lost friend.


No comments: